The School Construction Insurance Pool, Inc. (SCIP) is a non-profit corporation that previously operated an owner controlled insurance program (OCIP) for deficiency funded construction projects through the Arizona School Facilities Board (SFB). Coverages provided were workers’ compensation, general liability, and builder’s risk. Today, SCIP does not provide coverage to members, but continues to provide a quality assurance program. SCIP is also in a stand-by mode, awaiting availability of construction funding on a large scale.
From 2000 to 2006, SCIP offered an Owner Controlled Insurance Program (OCIP) that covered more than 640 projects and included over 2,100 enrolled contractors. The benefits of the OCIP included:
- uniform and customized coverages that reduced problems with subcontractor underinsurance,
- alleviation of claims-related project delays,
- reliable completed operations coverage,
- an enhanced safety program, and
- "one-stop shopping" - a coordinated insurance program with support from the Trust.
From 2010 to 2012, SCIP offered free construction consultation, or quality assurance (QA) services to Trust members. These services include:
- review of contracts to ensure that districts are adequately protected;
- review of general contractor insurance costs to help identify potential savings; and
- loss control and safety support.
Since 2013, the QA program has been operated by the Trust Loss Control Department to streamline services. The current services provided are:
- grading and drainage plan review
- structural plan review
- foundation plan review
If your district has any questions or suggestions regarding SCIP, or is interested in learning more about available construction consultation services, please contact Ryan Cole, Associate Executive Director, at (602) 200-2421 or email@example.com
Board of Directors
Karin Ward, MEdL, Board President
Karin Ward has been the superintendent for Beaver Creek School District in Yavapai County for the past 11 years. Karin received her bachelor of science degree from Arizona State University and her master's degree in educational leadership from Northern Arizona University. She has been an Arizona educator since 1981.
Lizette Huie, Board Vice President
Lizette Huie is a native Arizonan who currently serves as chief financial officer for Sahuarita Unified School District. Over the past 12 years, Lizette also served the district as executive assistant to the superintendent and as business services coordinator. She received her bachelor of science degree from the University of Phoenix in 2003.
Dale Ponder, CPPB, Board Secretary/Treasurer
Dale Ponder has served as the Chief of Finance & Operations at Crane Elementary School District No. 13 since May 2017. Since joining the district in 2006, he has served as the Executive Director of Management Services, Director of Finance, Director of Procurement and Procurement Manager. He also serves as a board member for the Yuma Area Benefit Consortium, the Education Technology Consortium, and the Children's Museum of Yuma County. Dale earned his Bachelors of Science in Business Administration from Berea College (KY) in 2002.
The SCIP board will hold board meetings at 333 East Osborn Road, Suite 100, Phoenix, Arizona 85012 on the following dates and times:
- October 22, 2021
- Electronically, via the public SCIP website (https://www.svc.the-trust.org/scip), Documents link.
- Physically, on the board room wall at 333 East Osborn Road, Suite 100, Phoenix, AZ 85012. This location is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except legal holidays.
If you are interested in attending, please contact us at (602) 200-2411 or firstname.lastname@example.org.