The School Construction Insurance Pool, Inc. (SCIP) is a non-profit corporation that previously operated an owner controlled insurance program (OCIP) for deficiency funded construction projects through the Arizona School Facilities Board (SFB). Coverages provided were workers’ compensation, general liability, and builder’s risk. Today, SCIP does not provide coverage to members, but continues to provide a quality assurance program. SCIP is also in a stand-by mode, awaiting availability of construction funding on a large scale.
From 2000 to 2006, SCIP offered an Owner Controlled Insurance Program (OCIP) that covered more than 640 projects and included over 2,100 enrolled contractors. The benefits of the OCIP included:
- uniform and customized coverages that reduced problems with subcontractor underinsurance,
- alleviation of claims-related project delays,
- reliable completed operations coverage,
- an enhanced safety program, and
- "one-stop shopping" - a coordinated insurance program with support from the Trust.
From 2010 to 2012, SCIP offered free construction consultation, or quality assurance (QA) services to Trust members. These services include:
- review of contracts to ensure that districts are adequately protected;
- review of general contractor insurance costs to help identify potential savings; and
- loss control and safety support.
Since 2013, the QA program has been operated by the Trust Loss Control Department to streamline services. The current services provided are:
- grading and drainage plan review
- structural plan review
- foundation plan review
If your district has any questions or suggestions regarding SCIP, or is interested in learning more about available construction consultation services, please contact Ryan Cole, loss control manager, at (602) 200-2421 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors
|Ken VanWinkle MA Ed, Board President Ken VanWinkle, a native Arizonan, is the superintendent for Safford Unified School District No. 1. Ken has also been a high school principal, assistant principal, athletic director, school counselor, and sixth grade teacher. He received his bachelor of science and master of arts degrees from Northern Arizona University.|
|Charlotte Gates, Board Vice President Charlotte Gates serves as the director of business services at Sahuarita Unified School District #30 and Continental Elementary School District #39. She received her associate of applied science degree in business from Citrus College in Glendora, California. She also holds a certificate in school business administration from Central Arizona College.|
Jeff Simmons, Board Secretary/Treasurer
Jeff graduated from Arizona State University in May of 1991 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Accounting. He began working in school finance in June of 1995. Jeff has worked at MCESA, Cave Creek Unified, Pendergast Elementary and Tempe Union. He has been at Buckeye Union High School District since November of 2005 where he currently is the Associate Superintendent of Operations.
The SCIP board will hold board meetings at 333 East Osborn Road, Suite 100, Phoenix, Arizona 85012 on the following dates and times:
- June 7, 2:30 p.m.
- December 14, 10 a.m.
- Electronically, via the public SCIP website (https://www.svc.the-trust.org/scip), Board of Directors link.
- Physically, on the board room wall at 333 East Osborn Road, Suite 100, Phoenix, AZ 85012. This location is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except legal holidays.
If you are interested in attending, please contact us at (602) 200-2411 or email@example.com.